Old October 5th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew Dalgleish

Default Protecting 4130 until I can prime it?

On 4 Oct 2006 08:46:12 -0700, "mhorowit" wrote:

I presented the following problem to a local authority and he suggested
a solution.
Can I get your thoughts on the adequacy of his suggestion?

I'm going to be removing old paint and primer from 4130 over a long
period of time. After a few hours, the bare metal will begin to rust,
so I'd like to protect it until I can apply a two-part epoxy,
probably a month or so later.

He suggests any of the lacquer-based spray-on paints would act as a
barrier, and would not deter two-part epoxy from adhering to the metal
when I get around to applying it.

Your thoughts please? - Mike

Epoxy prime as you go. You can mix very small amounts by sucking it
out of the cans using syringes and mix in a small graduated cup.Apply
it with a disposable sponge brush. Any leftovers can be saved in your
freezer for a few days.