Old June 20th 17, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

Default A Tale of Two Takeoffs

On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 08:30:05 UTC+10, Don Johnstone wrote:

I have been there, in my case I was in a K21 2 up behind a Rotax
Falke. (Motor glider with big engine). I was definitely in low tow and
had no way of getting out of it. The problem as I see it is that if
you sink low enough you could make it extremely difficult for the
tug to lower the nose to give you more speed, in which case he will
probably give you the rope, not a situation I would care to be in.
The radio call in my case was heeded.
Someone once told be that in Australia they all use low tow as the
norm, even releasing in low tow which I admit I never have. I have
always used low tow on cross country tows as it is a lot more
stable. I have always transitioned to high tow for release.

Confirmed, low tow is the norm here - just below the prop wash. The only time I have been in high tow is boxing the slipstream. One of our old hands used to transition to high tow for release (it was speculated that it was to get a few free feet of altitude) but it wasn't appreciated by the tuggies.

I have had one "memorable" towing speed incident. In my first ballasted comp. flying a Jantar Standard, the tow plane climbed out while I was still on the ground. I yanked the glider into the air and it took a few moments to get my wits about me to call for more speed. It was not something I had expected or prepared for and I should have released. It still gets my nerves jangling when I recall it.

I am doubly careful to make sure the tow pilot knows I am ballasted now, thanks goodness I have not had such an experience since (although I have had to ask for a few more knots now and then).

Cheers Ben