Old June 20th 17, 11:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default A Tale of Two Takeoffs

Or moving off center to one side Towpilots can skip leg day. Wonder if there is an ingestion, rather than simple interference, of the towplane wake at the glider wingtips similar to helicopter settling with power?
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 2:00:06 AM UTC-4, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 01:17 20 June 2017, Charlie M. UH & 002 owner/pilot wrote:
From our testing, you "almost" can't get too low on the towplane,

most
still have elevator authority (for lowering the nose) when you are

really
low unlike getting too high and you dive him in.

Perhaps we can all learn from the boys in Oz. From the last two posts
tug upsets should be almost unknown in Australia.
Is there a case for making low tow the standard towing position in the
rest of the world?
Just from the lessening of the chance of a tug upset it seems that low
tow is the safest option.