Old August 17th 04, 09:43 PM
Lyle

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:10:11 -0500, "Don Harstad"
wrote:

"Steve Jahn" wrote in message
According to the book Warbird Tech F-104
The Missile was fired about five times from the F-104. The airplane was

also
ground tested while hanging from a crane. The test was a Skunk works
project.
Steve
"John Keeney" wrote in message

"Prowlus" wrote in message
om...
I was watching this programme called "flying through time" which this
week was about the century series fighters from f-100 to f-106 and it
mentioned that the f-104 toted the genie rocket as one of its weapon
options .
Now this programme usually gives info whilst givin the wrong imagery
or both but it did show a zipper with a weird retractable centerline
pylon supposedly for a big honking genie as so the programme is leadin
the viewer to believe .
Is this a genuine capability for a Starfighter? I would have thought
it wouldn't have the loading capacity for such a weapon or even the
software to launch it unlike the F-102 or F-106

That's what the trapeze was for but I don't believe it was bought.

That's it! The tape I saw was of the F-104 suspended from a crane of some
sort, with the trapeze and Genie operated that way. Thanks!

Don H.

just because a plane dosent carry a certain load, dosent mean it cant.
case in point, F-16A and the sparrow missle. they were shooting
Aim-7's from the YF-16 prototype, and basically all F-16 before the
ADV version for the ANG came into beging was able to use the sparrow
with minor software modifacation.