Old October 25th 03, 12:27 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Sujay Vijayendra" wrote in message
Anyone know why the AIM-54 Phoenix is carried only by the F-14?? Why hasnt
the air-force developed a long range air to air missile like the phoenix?

As
far as I know, the AIM-120 is about the longest range modern missile they
have in their arsenal.

Because its a honking big , expensive missile designed
to kill Soviet bombers at long range. Each one is 13ft long
15inch dia and weighs in at around 1000lbs.

The AIM-120 is 12ft long , 7ich dia and weighs only 350
lbs. For a highly agile fighter the extra weight and drag
of the AIM-54 is a disadvantage that has to be considered
in the balance against it extra range. While I dont have
the figure to prove it I'd suggest AIM-54 us somewhat
less agile than the smaller missiles too, making it less useful
against small manoeveuring targets.

Keith