Old February 21st 05, 09:56 PM
ShawnD2112

Calum,
Assuming you're talking about pain due to pressure, what she needs to do is
equalize the pressure between her inner ear and the outside air in the
cabin. There are several ways to do this. The simplest are to swallow or
yawn. Those physical movements cause the air pressure in the ear to escape
and relieve the pain.

If that doesn't work, the next thing to try is called a valsalva. It's very
simple and works in most cases (it's what I do). Hold your nose, close your
mouth, and pressurize your lungs so you'd be blowing air if you had your
mouth or nose open. It may feel like you have to press with your lungs
quite a bit but it should eventually work. You can practice this on the
ground to see what it feels like, but don't get carried away or you may hurt
your ears.

In all the above cases you need to repeat it and stay ahead of the pressure
changes. It's easier to do them a little bit and often rather than wait for
the pain to be bad and then try to do it all at once.

Good luck and let us know how your wife gets on.

Cheers,
Shawn
"Calum" wrote in message
My wife suffers from sore ears during flight and we are facing two
commercial flights in one afternoon which she is not looking forward to.
Does anyone have any good tips to avoid the pain?

Thanks in advance.

Calum