Old February 27th 05, 04:26 PM
David CL Francis

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 at 14:37:18 in message , Ted
Lindgreen wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
I have a Garmin 196 that I use primarily for flying, but also bought
the "automobile option" package that included the bean bag mount and
CDROM with road maps. When used in LAND mode, it works OK most of the
time, but sometimes gives crazy routing. Usually, it's right after I
deviate from the route it wants me to take (when I know a better route
than it does). It keeps trying to take me back to its original route,
long after that is less efficient than figuring a new route. The extra
time for its rerouting can get to 15 minutes before it realizes that
there's a better route (mine), when the ETA finally drops back to where
it should be.

This problem was introduced some firmware updates back. Before,
when off-route it just calculated the best route from the new
position. After the change it keeps trying to reroute you back onto
the old route. Indeed, this leads to crazy routing and a bogus ETA :-(

Interesting. I have a Toyota Avensis with built in Sat/Nav and it has
the same problem. Who supplied it to Toyota have no idea.

It is all labelled Toyota. It does the same. You divert from the route
along a section where I know my way and it keeps trying to send me back
long after it makes any sense. "U turn at the next roundabout - take
third exit", "turn right" down a narrow road in an attempt to reverse
direction.

Once it was worse. Coming down the A1M(not a part I knew well) it said
"Take the next exit".

I did as it said and it took me two miles along a dual carriage took me
round a roundabout and back and returned me back to the same junction
and put me back on the A1(M)!
--
David CL Francis