Old October 29th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default ASH 26E VS DG 808C

On Oct 28, 2:12 pm, Gary Evans
wrote:
While the major 26 engine parts may cost $8k Euro a
replacement engine can cost $17k US as one unhappy
owner found out the hard way. I sure hope it isn't
a common problem, because that would bankrupt a lot
of people.

Proper maintenance and adherance to operationg procedures are likely
all that is needed to prevent an engine replacement. Consider the cost
of an annual inspection of a typical airplane with a 150 or so HP
Lycoming or Continental engine. I choose to pull the engine on my '26E
at each annual so we can inspect and clean it with some cleanser and
rags. I also clean out the engine bay. This adds about 4 hours to the
inspection, but it still takes less than a day.

When two belts break at the same meet
however I would no longer call it an unusual occurrence.

Both these ships had less than 10 hours on the belt/engine. As Bumper
said, it appears that Gates "improved" the belt for its typicall
application, but this change somehow made it more "brittle" in the
Schleicher installation. The problem is under investigation, but I
don't know the current state.

Interesting that DG's engine management system which
automated the process beyond the 26 would be viewed
as unnecessary like the parking option on the new
Lexus. I guess that means that all development should
have just stopped with the 26. Hmmm!

I doubt it... My wife and I have manual transmissions on our crew
truck as well as our daily cars, and IMP, the DEI provides about as
much perceived improvement as an automatic transmission would. I also
think that Schleicher would rather not spend time and MONEY making
minor changes that require regulatory approvals. There are a fw simple
things that could be dont to the ILEC controller, but I understand that
even a firmware update to add a new feature is an expensive
proposition.

I know for a fact that you have this flaw so it must
have been especially painful when you realized there
were so many areas for improvement in your 26. I'm
sure Kemp was exaggerating when he said you've made
1000 changes but exactly how many changes have you
made?

From what I've gleaned in various email posts he's made to our owners

mailing list, most of the changes are very minor - which include the
quiet vent, super yawstring, something similar to the Piggott hook,
revolution counter to better keep track of oil consumption, and
improved springs for the steerable tailwheel. He's also rigged a neat
pneumatic switch, and built a special dolly for towing the ship
sideways from his hangar to the runway.

Ps. As I said before IMO both of these ships are good
choices but both have advantages and disadvantages.
Were that not the case one of these two manufactures
would have been out of business by now. You can measure
how well DG is doing by the sales volume and innovations.
I assume Schleicher is doing as well. You pay your
money and take your choice. I do suggest interested
buyers research beyond owners opinions as they (we)
tend to be a tad biased as you may have noticed.

Absolutely!

-Tom