Old July 6th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
R. Scott

Default Aviation Observer Wings Question - Do they still use them ?

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
Rick Scott,

Yet I see a website where someone claiming to be a commander and being
commissioned in 82 wearing A/O wings on his uniform.

Perhaps this was a former enlisted who earned A/C wings and was later
commissioned.

Keep in mind that enlisted A/C wings (the modern version, not the WWII
wings) and the now-defunct NAO wings can look very similar from a distance
or in a website photo.

See p. 659 and p. 663 in http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP20.PDF for
illustrations of each.

Yep I know what the two Look like I'm a former Air Crewman ... and his
website he distinctly says he from high school he went on to earn a PHD then
moved to naval Intel and earned his wings. Yet he is wearing A/O wings.

I don't really want to post the picture as I hate to accuse the guy of being
a Wanna Be without knowledge of the A/O wings.

Rick Scott
FMR AE1 and Air Crewman