Old September 21st 03, 01:59 AM
Gene Storey

I saw him many years ago at the Reno air races (before the city ruined it),
and people were gathering around him after one young boy ran up to get
an autograph (I've never understood why people want autographs, unless
they have a book made for such collections). I was pretty far away and
still heard him plainly: "look people, I just want to watch the races, and be
with my friends." They all started going away, each with their own personal
insult probably, and then a half-hour later, it started again. I was glad that
no one recognized us as anything other than just race fans, and felt sorry
for him, that he would never be able to enjoy the simple things in life. He
found a good way to chase the *******s off, with little extra kindness.