Old March 13th 18, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default $75,000 2-33

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 13:08:41 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

Maybe Rhinebeck would like a gliding club...

Maybe they would, but for certain glider pilots would not.

For many years my club (Cambridge Gliding Club) was based at Duxford, one
of the WW2 Fighter Command stations. Some time in the late 80s/early 90s
activity ramped up there with one of the the Imperial War Museum's
aviation collections becoming more active on site, a number of historic
aircraft restorers and flying groups moving in and air shows becoming
more frequent. This had a major impact on club operations in summer, so
CGC upped sticks and moved to its current site, which is far enough from
Duxford to be undisturbed by any of its air shows.

But, back to Old Rhinebeck: unless things have changed a lot since I
worked in NYC in 1976/77 (and visited Old Rhinebeck as well as regularly
flying models with the New York Skyscrapers on Galeville) the normal air
show schedule at Old Rhinebeck would be hugely disruptive to any gliding
operation there or in the immediate area.

Glide Britain now has a YouTube channel featuring short promotional
videos featuring various UK gliding sites. Some of you my find they give
a better idea of how we operate on this side of the pond. Yes, the CGC
video is on site now, together with Mendip (west England) and the York
Gliding Centre.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAs...dSl3yHjvzH5nag

--
Martin | martin at