Old August 7th 03, 12:17 PM
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:45:42 -0700, Mary Shafer
wrote:

Much like the United States then. When do you intend to end the
military occupation of Nebraska? I mean, really: it's not as if you
have a use for the place.

The plans for the colonization of America were directly taken from the
contemporaneous plans for colonizing Ireland.

So, much like the United States, then?

Or any of the other European colonising experiences, including the
period after colonial polities severed ties with their European
colonial governments. As it was, the relevant immediately
pre-Revolutionary US experience was of a British government limiting
further colonisation and expansion westwards, much to the chagrin of
local land speculators and their surveyors with youthful histories of
cherry-tree surgery. Colonisation continued in US history long after
1783.

The colonists were, by then, English, not Anglo-Norman.

Not just English, I'm afraid. Nobody in their right mind could
possibly conceive of the European colonisation of America originating
with the Anglo-Normans (bar Templar fantasists): my original
reference was to the situation in 1170, and the fact that the
Anglo-Norman "colonisation" of Ireland was not uniuque, and like most
similar Norman expansion, cannot be shoe-horned into modern
prejudicial concepts of "colonialism".

There were
probably some Welsh and Scots colonists, too, of course,

There were, alongside all manner of other nationalities. Paul Revere
was not descended from what might not be popularly regarded as common
English stock.

but the real
flood of Scots followed Culloden and the Enclosure Acts. A lot of
those Scots ended up in North Carolina, by the way.

Like Flora MacDonald, perhaps. Remind me of which way they and the
immigrant Irish jumped when the local slave-owning fatcat bigwigs
started to object to central government taxation actually being
actively collected for once.

Gavin Bailey

--

"...this level of misinformation suggests some Americans may be
avoiding having an experience of cognitive dissonance."