Old May 30th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default balancing act

Hello Stu,
Do you clamp the rudder pedals while doing this? Have you checked the tail
rotor tracking before? where do you put the reflecting tape for your DSS or
Prodrive? How many hours do you have?
Claude.
"Steve R" a écrit dans le message de news:
Hi Stuart & Kathryn,

What kind of helicopter are you talking about here?

Please excuse a wild guess from someone who has "very" little experience
in the experimental world but......... since you're not finding anything
overtly loose in the drive system or tail blades, I have to wonder about
something like a bearing going south on you? It might not be anything
you'll feel just moving a static system round but could start causing
problems when under load. Is there any kind of preload put on the system
during assembly? If so, is it even?

As I said, I'm just guessing here so if I'm totally out of line, please
excuse the reply! ;-)

Best of luck & fly safe,
Steve R.

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
Here's one for the pros: I was balancing my tail rotor and had it down
to 0.27 ips and still had just a touch too much weight where I had added
it. So still needing to safety wire a bolt that is located in the center
of the tail rotor output shaft, I chose to safety it to a hole 180
degrees from the weight. The safety wire was small, 0.025, so I didn't
expect to see the ips go to zero, but I hoped they would decrease maybe
to 0.20. Well it didn't. All of a sudden I had 0.9ips, so I shut down and
removed the wire and ran again. This time I got 0.5 ips. The balancer
reading did not even come close to repeating. The phase angle was also
different. In an experiment, I would run up from idle to full chat and
take 4 averaged readings, come back to idle and go up to full chat again
for another 4 readings. Never repeats. Can't find anything loose in the
drive or on the blades. If I pull a set of readings at 2500, 2600 and
2700, all the readings pretty much agree with the exception of ips
increasing a bit with rpm. However if I take it to idle and come back
up, I get a different set.
Any ideas?
--
Stuart Fields