Old April 9th 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.simulators

Default Quality helicopter sim?

I use both MSFS2004 and X-Plane 8 for helos, but MSFS is not adequate for
helo training. There used to be some helo combat sims but I've never tried
them.

MS Flightsim is eye-candy but melts quickly; it doesn't autorotate. X-Plane
autorotates quite accurately.

I have not made either sim demonstrate settling-with-power (ring-vortex
state).

Neither sim comes with an SGS-300 but users have made dozens of free
downloadable helos. X-Plane lets you make your own by modifying existing
models.

X-plane has external long-line loads you can practice with, but lacks an
inset view so you cannot fly and position your load at the same time.

MSFS has a more complex GPS, but X-plane's is adequate for VFR navigation.
Both sims can be used for IFR helo flight. X-plane's S-61 Sea King has an
autopilot which makes IFR approaches much easier.

Both sims come with a Bell 206 and a Robinson R-22. The MSFS R-22 is a
breeze to fly, NOT like the real thing. X-Plane's R-22 is realistically
dicy.

I like MSFS for recreation, but not when I am trying to improve skills.

--
Thanks,
Marc Williams
"AirDolphin" wrote in message
om...
Can someone recommend a quality helicopter simulator?
(Yet affordable by an individual enthusiast/helicopter student)

Esp. I am looking for one with Schweitzer 300C/CB/CBi (Hughes 269C) model.

What do people think of the helicopter models in X-Plane and MS Flightsim?

Thanks.