Old August 7th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
November Bravo

Default Zander 940/941 or ZS-1 Flight Computers???

On Aug 7, 3:03 pm, Tim wrote:
Hello All:

I've got a couple of questions regarding Zander flight computers. If
anyone has any insight (good or bad) I would appreciate it.

1) Are there any opinions out there about the Zander 940/941 flight
computer?

2) How about the new ZS1 flight computer?

3) For North American pilots, any idea why they are so popular with
contest pilots in Europe, but seemingly so unpopular on this side of
the pond?

Thanks in advance,
Tim McAllister EY

1) I own a Zander 940 and a Zander gps flight recorder in the glider
I keep at Serre. I own an Ilec SN10 here in the States. The Zander
is a first class computer. Very good vario function and GPS data
logger. If you are dedicated to competition flying, especially in
Europe, the software will deal with any permutation of task that could
be called. The wind calculation is probably the best if combined with
an optional electric compass, since a lot of European flying is using
wave and ridge complicated with major changes in wind direction in
very short distances.

2) The ZS1 flight computer has more information per page display than
the Zander 940. Software essentially the same.

3) Native to Europe.

I love the SN10 because the interface is very intuitive. The Zander
is a bit more like working with DOS rather than Windows. Having said
that, when I fly in France with the Zander, I have no problem working
with it. If the majority of my time was spent flying in conditions of
ridge and wave (straight flight) where significant wind directional
changes occurred from one valley or mountain to the next, I would go
with a computer that took accurate wind measurements with the aid of
an electric compass such as the Zander. In those situations, wind
calculation with circling flight is less helpful.

John Iacobucci