Old February 16th 04, 02:39 PM
Bill and Susan Maddux

good to here from Buffdrur again, and being an old buff crew chief it was
fun watching everyone discuss this. and Hell I even saved the picture to
enjoy over and over again. but it is correct that the only way this bird
could do this is straight down from a very high altitude.

Bill maddog Maddux
"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
I found a photo on the web which was described as a photo of a B-52
breaking the sound barrier. I do not believe this plane can do such a
thing in a positive manner. Is the photo genuine?

This could happen....although the picture needs to be rotated 90-degrees

so
that the aircraft is pointed *straight down*! Actually, at around .84 Mach
(Indicated, about .92 Mach True) at high altitude, under the right

conditions,
you can begin to see the shock wave just off the ALQ-172 antenna on the

nose.
Seeing this is usually where pilots will look down at the A-A TACAN and

see
their wingmen stretching out to 3+ miles. You also imagine the hundreds of
obscenities being hurled at from 3+ miles away

BUFDRVR

"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it

harelips
everyone on Bear Creek"