Old June 20th 11, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karen

Default Lumbar support ideas?

Noel,

I keep waiting for someone to suggest "ice", so here is $.02 worth
from someone who shattered his spine in three places four years ago in
a gliding mishap from a release failure.

I fly with a chute for acro and rides sometimes six days a week. G
forces and the awkward posture present swelling and pinched nerves on
a daily basis. I too refuse to fly on meds or just not fly.

My thoughtful physical therapist pointed out not only negative
pressure and support but something softer than the chute and "COLD" to
shrink the discs. They supplied a gel pak which I freeze before a day
of flying in 100F heat. Placed correctly, it does provide added
protection and support and grows softer as it warms (about 5 hrs).

It is so majic, I incorporated it into two different (camera and
fishing) vests which my wife sewed large pockects into. Once you get
past the razzing from the neysayers on the field about "where's your
bass lures". Fits nicely between the backpack or by itself and also
can be shifted around to where the most cronic pain is. 52 months-
still flying.

Michael