Old May 5th 04, 08:40 PM
Jay Honeck

You landed in Huntsville for lunch and didn't call me. It's only about an
hour away. Remind me to smack you next time I see you.

Wow -- I didn't realize I was so close! Sorry, man.

You'll be glad to know, however, that I *did* almost get my ass kicked while
in Huntsville, by some good ol' 'Bama boy who jumped up on my wing and
wanted a piece of me.

It seems in my frustrating search for the FBO (who did not answer my calls
on the radio), I taxied past his open maintenance hangar door, and blew a
bunch of crap around inside. It must've been some weird combination of wind
currents and prop blast, cuz neither Mary nor I thought I had taxied close
enough to do such a thing -- but this poor sap chased me clear across the
airport on his bicycle to let me know what a dope I was...

Funny thing is, Mary and the kids were out on the tarmac stretching (after a
3.5 hour flight) when this guy jumped up on my wing to have a look at the
idiot inside.
I was busily filling out my log book, and didn't even notice him next to me
for some seconds. Mary says he was kneeling there for over a minute,
waiting for me to notice him.

My first thought when I saw him was "Uh-oh -- ramp check time!," so I
politely asked him what I could do for him.

This unexpected politeness seemed to completely deflate him, and he just
mumbled something about how I should be more careful when taxiing past open
hangars. He told me I had blown all sorts of crap around his hangar, and he
really didn't appreciate it much.

I was as nice as pie, and apologized profusely -- I really did feel badly,
cuz it's happened to me.

In retrospect, however, the next time someone jumps up on my wing without
asking, I'm going to kick his ass -- and THEN apologize.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA