Old January 29th 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

Default Free plans? Open source plans?

On 2008-01-29, wrote:
If so, how is that open source like the open source software movement?
No one is getting paid to share their knowledge in open source.

Wrong. There are lots of folks getting paid to work on open source software.
I've occasionally even been one of them.

Open source software projects are often poorly tested pieces of half
working junk written ad hoc and often by very immature, inexperience
developers. The Linux kernel is an exception. Apache is an exception.
For each of these there are 10 thousand pieces of crap.

That 99% of everything is crap doesn't make the stuff that isn't any less
good. Some of the best software available today is open source. Don't reject
any software because it's open source (or not). Pick, or reject, it because
of how good it is.

(Yeah, I'm biased a bit, as I'm the project manager of a piece of open
source software that's a leader in its field. I'll proudly stand Hercules up
against anything else.)
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC
http://www.conmicro.com