Old February 4th 21, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

Default Seeking tech info on LX7007

On 2/4/2021 7:54 AM, Paul Remde wrote:

Hi Moshe,

It was nice talking with you yesterday.

The database files for LXe are executable programs because they are installation files. You need to run one to install it after installing LXe.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_____________________________

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 5:39:56 PM UTC-6, Moshe Braner wrote:
On 2/3/2021 5:02 PM, wrote:
Here’s the manual.

https://pngc.co.uk/documents/instrum...7007Manual.pdf

Unfortunately, LxNavigation seems to have revamped their website recently. Pretty yes, but terrible to navigate and they seem to have eliminated all the links to legacy manuals.

Dave Kinsell kindly pointed me to this page, which does have *some*
software and data offered for their "legacy" devices:
https://www.lxnavigation.com/support...legacy-devices
- note that there are 3 "tabs" at the top, in faint gray font:
Software, Manuals, and Databases.

Why are their "databases" executable files I don't know.

Well that's one way to do it, and not my preferred way. A data file
should be a data file. They can tell you where to copy it to. Or have
the program (LXe) ask you to point to the current file location, and
then it can copy it to wherever it wants, add it into its list of what's
there, etc.

Moreover, a data file should be uploadable into the device via its SD
card slot, without using an app such as LXe. I guess this whole setup
was started before they added an SD card slot to the last versins of the
device. Back then EVERYTHING was done via serial cables and helper
apps. Ah, the bad old days...

I did manage to upload my turnpoints file into the device without LXe.
Did have to use SeeYou to convert the .cup file to a .da4 file, put that
on the SD card and then used the device menus to import it. Wish they'd
accepted the .cup format as is.

All the files imported and exported by this device (including the flight
logs, pilots info, saved settings...) are in proprietary binary formats.
Thus you can't examine or edit them "manually" (in a text editor),
like you can with .cup files for example, or XCsoar configuration files.
I know, I shouldn't complain about this device which is about 15 years
old, but that seems like yesterday.