Old September 1st 03, 06:46 AM
Neal

An F-15 can get pretty awesomely loud too, looks vaguely similar to an
F-18, to the layperson, in that it also has twin vertical
stabilizors/rudders but they're straight up instead of angled
outwards. F-15's wing is much larger, and somewhat delta-shaped too.

Good pics for comparison at:
http://www.rijskamp.com/KLu/photos/photo_50.html

On 31 Aug 2003 13:32:31 -0700, (Scott Lowrey)
wrote:

I reside about 6 miles off the departure end of MSP runway 12, so I'm
used to hearing a lot of jet traffic. I've only lived here for 6
months but I quickly adjusted to the noise. It's acutally not that
bad, excepting the venerable DC-9.

Today, though, what looked like an F-18 flew over. Wow. I haven't
seen too many fighters in my life (still have yet to see a "real" air
show). That thing peeled off to the southeast with a thunder that
even the DC-9 in full song can't match.

She was probably climbing through 3 or 4 thousand when I looked up.
Are afterburners used during departure? If not, I can't imagine what
_that_ sounds like.

-Scott