Old July 14th 03, 02:25 AM
Roy Smith

Ray Andraka wrote:
Personally, I think the instrument scan typically taught relies too
heavily on the AI given its relatively low reliability.
Unfortunately, the alternative is a scan that works a bit more like a
partial panel scan using the AI as supporting, not primary. Such a
scan is much harder to master and requires considerable finesse to
keep from chasing the needles. It is not one I would expect to be
able to teach someone just learning to fly by instruments.

You are probably right. When I did my initial IFR training, my
instructor was very big on partial panel work. As a result, I learned
to not rely on the AI, and I find partial panel approaches (in training,
anyway) almost a non-event.

The downside, is that I suspect I don't use the information the AI gives
me as much as I should. I tend to fly pitch by airspeed, not by the AI.
This probably makes me not as smooth and precise as I might otherwise
be. But I do have a lot of confidence that I can fly an approach on the
TC and ASI alone.