Old December 5th 17, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Final Glide - Ray Temchus

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 5:48:51 PM UTC-4, Charlie Papa wrote:
I just got the sad news that Ray Temchus, former President of Freedom's Wings International, has passed away.

He is a loss to our community. He embodied charity.

Charles

I am very sorry to hear of this. I had always been fascinated with aviation since childhood and wanted to be a pilot. After my C6/7 SCI in 1990 (age 20), I figured it was over. It wasn't until 1996 that I finally tried flying w/ FWI. I did a few flights, but got serious when Ray uttered from behind while somewhere above 5,000 feet, "Look, I'm not blowin' smoke up your ass.... you're good at this, and you should keep coming out here to fly!" For the next two summers I came out to Van Sant from Long Island once or twice a week and enjoyed the escape from my chair with every flight. Since then I went on to pursue my BS in Aeronautics, my MS in Education, and my Ed.D. in Educational Administration & Technology where I focused on simulation within collegiate aviation education.

If it were not for Ray's dedication to my flying, along with the other volunteers with FWI, I likely would not have accomplished what I did in aviation. I'm sorry to hear of Ray's passing, but I am blessed to have known him!