Old August 30th 15, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Bohli compass operation

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 12:06:10 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was wondering if anyone can describe their personal experiences with a Bohli compass. Did you like it was it easy to use? I read the manual which proclaims one can actually use the compass to center thermals and to cloud fly. From my reading it seems as if you would have to be VERY experienced practiced and current to cloud fly or to use the compass to assist in centering a thermal.

Don't know if you're thinking of competition, but from the 13.5 m WGC local procedures:

4.1.2.b Instruments that must be removed from the sailplane
The following instruments shall not be carried on board:
* Bohli, Schanz, KT1 or other gimballed compass
* Turn indicator
* Artificial Horizon
Software artificial horizons integrated with FR (fly compiuters) must indicate in their IGC files that AH function is disabled.

If you are a competitor, perhaps not the best choice (or if you were to rent to a competitor, or sell to one).