Old August 30th 15, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Bohli compass operation

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 12:06:10 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was wondering if anyone can describe their personal experiences with
a Bohli compass. Did you like it was it easy to use?

Eons ago I borrowed a glider that had a Bohli. I asked the owner
why the compass acted so oddly, and he said "oh yeah, it needs to be
sprayed with anti-static"!
Seems areas of the top plastic view-plate (with the markings) would
build up charge, and the little indicator ball would be attracted/repulsed
from the charged areas!

Made a really weird jumpy motion while thermalling - quite annoying.

Likely only a problem in dry climates, but it was really not usable...

No idea if they all have this issue or if the materials were improved.

See ya, Dave