Old September 15th 20, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default FES underpowered for 18m ship?

Dave Walsh wrote on 9/15/2020 2:39 AM:
A real problem is putting the word "KISS" and "FES" is the same
sentence or indeed "KISS" and "electric propulsion".
There is nothing simple about electric motors powered by LiPo batteries.

It should be obvious the "KISS" remark refers to a comparison with other means of
propulsion, and not to a sailplane without a motor. Based on my experience with a
mast mounted combustion engine and discussions with owners of FES gliders, I
believe the FES system is less complex to own and operate.

And, as we all know, a motorless glider has it's own complexities, such as getting
tow when and where desired, and needing a retrieve if it doesn't get home.