Old November 23rd 05, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Lake effect snow

I primarily fly from WI to MI and back, crossing the lake and landing near
Grand Rapids. Often, GRR is just on the eastern edge of the lake effect.

From my experience, the answers to your questions depend on the type of
system (if any) that is crossing the area. Right now there is a warm front
crossing LM. Broken layer around 3000, overcast above, layered to 25000.
Scattered snow and snow showers below. That warm front is providing extra
lifting action that combined with the lake moisture will make the tops
pretty high, clouds laden with moisture. These are the systems to avoid in
the winter around the lakes. Lots of ice.

There's a cold front following this warm front that will reverse the
situation in a day or so. Expect less lifting action, less moisture in the
air. My guess would be to expect lake effect snow but clouds scattered to
broken around that 3000 foot area, not too thick, say maybe 5000 foot tops,
and clear above.

What I've experienced is when the lake effect snow is not associated with a
frontal system, rather just a north west wind, the tops are low, the layer
is thin, the snow showers are scattered, no icing, and ceilings are 1000 ft
or better. The further you get away from the source, the thinner the cloud
layer becomes.

With that being said, expect the unexpected. There are no firm rules that
weather follows, especially where you have ample moisture and a difference
in temperatures such as between the lake water and the frozen tundra.

Jim

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Any more experienced Great Lakes area pilots able to answer some questions
about lake effect snow?

1. When there are bands of lake effect snow across your path:
- how high up do they go?
- how much ice do they produce?
2. What about if the band is covering the airport? Fly the approach or
wait?

Since there are bands of lake effect snow almost continually from now
until March between here and anywhere I want to go, should I give up any
dreams of flying IFR during the winter?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
If nothing else, I can watch my cow-orkers dodge clues in a manner