Old December 27th 03, 06:40 PM
Chris Rowland

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 10:06:17 -0800, Eric Greenwell
wrote:

Charles Yeates wrote:
Maybe it is simply an ergonomics thing --- I feel more comfortable
circling to the right in clutch situations simply because it is easier
to pull and adjust rather than push and adjust in right turns.

For me, it's just habit: when I was learning to fly, we'd always get off
tow in a thermal; since we'd always depart tow with a turn to the right,
it was easiest to just continue turning right in the thermal.

Its my opinion that some thermals work better turning one way rather
than the other. If it doesn't seem to be working one way I'll reverse
the turn and try the other way. Sometimes it helps.

I get the impression there are days where the thermals are right
handed (or left handed). I've no idea if this is a coriolis thing
(although if somebiody wants to sponsor me to do a research project
involving a few months Gliding in OZ and NZ I wouldn't mind:-).

And some gliders, particularly much repaired club gliders, seem to
turn better one way rather than the other. It was a revelation when I
first flew something that was straight, it could turn equally well
both ways.

For a few flights before a contest, I'll make an effort to fly at least
half my thermals to the left, so I'm ready for the left turns required
at US contests near the start and at turnpoints.

Yes, If I find I'm getting handed I'll do this, just because I always
want the choice.

Chris