Old May 2nd 05, 02:31 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 02 May 2005 13:20:06 GMT, Jose
wrote in ::

Do you have some data to support that, or is that opinion empirically
derived? :-)

"empirical" means "by experiment" (data). As opposed to "by theory"
(mathematics and modelling)

...given [webster's definition, consistant with my statement]
I wonder why you felt the need to define the meaning of the word.
What was your point?

It was a UU. ("usenet urge"). The original quote seemed to misuse the
word, pitting "empirical" against "having some data", when they mean the
same thing.

The usage I would expect would be something like "is there any theory
behind this, or is that opinion empirically derived?" or "do you have
some data to support that, or is this merely a theoretically based opinion?"

Jose

Oh, for a minute there, I thought you were attempting to define all
data as empirical.