Old June 4th 04, 10:16 PM
zatatime

On 04 Jun 2004 16:57:20 GMT, (Garyurbach) wrote:

Can anybody here tall me what the standard rate of turn is in a 757? Is it the
same as small palnes, i.ei, is it universal at 360 degrees in 2 minutes?

I've got someone telling me the Boeing 757 that hit the Pentagon did some
impossible turn before flying into the building, and it sounds like a turnign
decent to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

A standard rate turn is 360 degrees in 2 minutes for all planes.
However the bank angle required to accomplish this depends on
airspeed. For most large jets the cruise airspeed standard rate turn
would exceed 30 (maybe 45) degrees of bank. Therefore they are
restricted to 25 degrees of bank.

Now, this does not mean a 757 can't physically turn more steeply than
that, it just states how they are governed. I'm sure a 757 would have
no problem performing a 60 or greater degree bank angle, just as the
707 had no problem being rolled during its test flight.

HTH.