Old June 17th 04, 04:12 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Mike Weeks" wrote in message
This might be of some interest. Throw out all those other transition

schedules
we've seen. g

start
DEFENSE DAILY 16 JUN 04

Tomcat Transition To Super Hornet Complete By Fall '06, Admiral Says

By Lorenzo Cortes

The Navy will successfully retire the remainder of its Northrop Grumman

[NOC]
F-14 Tomcat fleet in fall 2006 thanks to an accelerated schedule that also
includes introducing Boeing [BA] F/A-18E/F Super Hornet fighter-bombers
earlier, according to the Atlantic Fleet's air forces chief.

MW

How does the range of the F-18 E/F compare with the F-14 Bombcat, with both
carrying equivalent attack loads? Afghanistan is a good example of why the
Navy needs a dedicated medium range attack aircraft. I imagine the phrase
"Wish we still had a few A-6's" was heard more than once in discussions on
Naval air planning regarding Afghanistan.....