Old April 22nd 04, 09:42 PM
Dave Butler

TTA Cherokee Driver wrote:
Is there a fuel dip tube available for the Piper Warrior II
(specifically, pa28-161)? When I flew the 172 I used a fuelhawk dip
tube to measure how much fuel I had. In the warrior there are tabs in
each tank at 17 gals but other than that it seems like guesswork. I
sure would like to find a way to more precisely measure the fuel aboard.
I searched google but could not find anything.

This is triggered because last weekend I told a Signature FBO to fill
the tanks up "to the tabs." The lineman topped the tank off and I had
to have fuel drained before I could leave within gross. This isn't the
first time that has happened to me. It would be much better if I could
dip the tanks and then simply say "put x gallons in left and y gallons
in right" and remove all ambiguity, guesswork, and depedency on
Signature line personell knowing what "to the tabs" means.

Yeah, that's a pain. I used to own an Archer that was leased to a flying club,
and the club SOPs called for filling it to the tabs. That just seemed to be too
much for some line people to handle. You have to be very specific when you give
your fuel order, make sure you say "to the tabs" several times, and then ask
whether they know what "to the tabs" means.

I have a non-model-specific measuring device like a fuelhawk. You have to
calibrate it for the airplane (or at least model) where you use it. It's been
rattling around in my flight bag for a while. If I see you at TTA, it's yours.
Guess I'm going to be hanging around TTA a little more since I just joined the
flying club there.

Respond directly to my email and tell me what it's like flying out of TTA.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.