Old November 17th 05, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Commercial rating: Am I wrong here?

Hey, all. Looking for opinions here, and here's the situation:

ME: 240 hrs, PP-ASEL-IA, commercial student. I took out an aviation loan
to get my Instrument, Commercial and CFI back when I had nothing to lose,
having been laid off from my job and looking to change careers. Got my IA,
then got a full-time job which slowed me down, then got a better job. I now
make more money at entry level than I would as a commercial pilot or
bottom-rung ATP. On top of that, I'm on the second draft of a huge-ass
novel I've been working on for years, and recording my third album. I have
one-two hours of downtime at night to spend with my wife.

I continue to work on my commercial because I don't quit, because it's an
excuse to fly and to improve my skills, but because of my schedule in the
last couple of months I've only been able to fly about once or twice every
two weeks. The flight school hasn't said anything, but I get the vibe that
they're expecting me to wash out. One of the instructors seems frustrated
that I haven't finished up already.

Am I right-headed in thinking that I should stick it out, finish my
commercial and CFI on my own time? It's unrealistic to ditch a job for a
CFI position and a 65% pay cut but I still want to increase my proficiency
and expertise flying. I don't care if it costs me an extra thousand or two
in the long run.

Thoughts? I will not bail on my flight training, period, but it might take
me until late spring to finish CFI on my own time. Is this normal and
acceptable (in terms of safety) or am I one of GA's black sheep?

-c