Old December 30th 03, 04:24 PM
Mary Shafer

On 29 Dec 2003 20:41:09 -0800, (WaltBJ) wrote:

Capt Al Haynes of United Flight 233 has a daughter who needs a bone
marrow transplant to save her life. She must raise 250,000 dollars to
cover the costs. See
http://www.friendsoflaurie.com for details.

Walt, this didn't seem to work for me. I'll try again later but could
you check it?

It's UAL 232, by the way.

Capt
Haynes was chief pilot of the DC10 that lost all its hydraulics and
thus the flight controls and crash-landed at Sioux City Iowa some ten
years ago. He and his crew somehow managed to save about half the
pasengers. I know him personally; he is a real gentleman.

Capt. Haynes is retired, by the way, so the jokes about airline
pilots' pay don't apply here. He is a really nice guy, who let NASA
(ok, me) distribute the video tapes of his post-accident presentation
through Usenet some years ago. Hundreds of tapes were made and
thousands of people saw them, all over the world, thanks to him.

People, particularly people of non-European descent, might want to
look into becoming bone marrow donors. It's relatively safe for the
donor and the donee is usually at death's door, so donating does a lot
of good. People of non-European descent are really under-represented
for a variety of reasons, so it's really hard for would-be donees to
find matches and donors.

Mary