Old May 16th 10, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default Simulators

On May 16, 12:17*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
Yep, while some people are serious about simulation, there is nothing
serious about simulation as you would think it would relate to the
real world of flying.

I don't understand.

I know since I have real world experience AND MSFS experience. You
don't since you don't fly a real plane.

From what you've said in the past, it doesn't sound like you have any serious
simulation experience, although I suppose you've toyed with MSFS from time to
time.

There's quite a broad spectrum of MSFS users, from kiddie gamers to people who
spend more on their simulators than they would have to spend to get their
ATPLs.

So, why not post into the sim groups and say you fly a baron then
rec.aviatoin.piloting. *You don't fly a baron, you simulate flying a
baron.

Flight is flight. Most of the differences between simulation and the real
world tend to be insignificant in the wide world of aviation.

Since my last post, I've flown three times: a round trip of only nine miles
each way (which taught me that nine miles isn't far enough for a Bonanza), and
a 48-minute trip from Phoenix to Palm Springs, which went well until SoCal
Approach dragged its feet getting me below 11000 and forced me to go around.
At least I got some hand-flying practice in the Citation from that latter
flight.

MX wrote

Flight is flight. Most of the differences between simulation and the
real
world tend to be insignificant in the wide world of aviation.

When my most important customer is having some difficulties, I do NOT
simulate a flight to Rochester NY. I file an IFR flight plan, and go
there. That is, at least to my pragmatic way of thinking, a
significant difference.

My guess is a significant number of us use are ability to fly to
enhance our quality of life by going to interesting places, others do
that by enjoying the aesthetics of soaring.

And some play computer games.

Perhaps to some the pleasures are equivalent. To some of us, they are
not. For some of us, there's not an important overlap in learning
opportunity, To be lectured by one who has experienced only one side
as to its relevance is, well, you can fill in whatever word or phrase
you choose.