Old December 15th 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default Arizona Cross-Country Soaring Camp

.... A good example of a XC camp/starter
contest is the Memorial day contest put on by the Chicago Clider
Council. The contest is set up as a weekend sports class contest, and
acual tasks are set each day. The nice thing bout the way this contest
is run is that two tasks ar called each day. One short "beginner"
task, and a long tak for the more advanced participants. Both
categories are scored on winscore as in a real contest.

I had a blast flying it for the first time last year in my Ka-6, and
learned a ton. It actually got me thinking of maybe flying a contest
in the future, but the lack of anything in Region 7 (besides the
memotial day contest) is keeping me from probably flying in a real
sports class conest this year.

Peter

This option will be available for real (sanctioned) regional contests
this year. You can have two handicapped classes, call it "pro" and
"am" or "leisure" and "seizure", one with big tasks and one with a
more beginner friendly task.

So let's make Sky Soaring a regional contest this year!

Among the many advantages of running an event by ssa rules is that
pilots learn how contests work and discover they might be fun.

I'm surprised too if the Arizona crowd wants go-anywhere-you-want
distance tasks. Long unrestricted MAT are not particularly popular
elsewhere, to put it mildly. But if that's what you want, the rules
let you do it.

John Cochrane