Old November 1st 04, 06:55 AM
Dude

If you are sure you want to be an owner, then don't let not having a license
stop you. Lot's of people, including me, bought before they got the PPL.
Purchase and ownership do take time though, so you are likely delaying your
PPL completion.

The SR22 is too much plane for many folks with 10 times your experience. In
order to get one of those, and be able to fly it, you will pay HUGE amounts
in insurance and training costs.

I suggest buying something much more docile if you really want to own now.
Wait until you have an IFR and a few hundred hours before getting that much
airplane. Yes, they are nice and fast, and have long legs, but a 182 or
Diamond Star won't be that far behind the 22, and they are much safer.

If you plan to use depreciation, make sure you want to own a plane for life
(otherwise, you have to pay it back).

Lastly, if you really, really want to get up to an SR22 soon, buy a late
model plane but not new. New planes take a big hit in the first two years,
so if you are trading up quickly, its generally better to go used.

"New Pilot" wrote in message
. ..
Hello all,

Wanted to hear your advice about buying a brand-new plane even before
getting the PPL ticket.

Here is my situation: I am a businessman sitting on quite a bit of cash
being generated by my business, and I am also a student pilot, will
probably
get my ticket by the next Summer. I am thinking about buying one of them
Cirri SR22.

Considering that the inflation in this country is picking up, and also
that
there is quite a long waitlist for those Cirrus aircraft, would it make
sense for me to place an order now, and until I get my ticket and gain
some
experience, to lease the plane back to my local FBO?

Does this make sense economically, or am I totally crazy? In general, how
good an investment are those brand-new airplanes, provided one can afford
pay cash for them?

Thanks in advance,

A Newbie Pilot