Old May 5th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Harry Andreas

Default Boeing Offers Additional F/A-18 Sale to U.S. Navy

In article . com,
wrote:

Nice link. Thanks! I was not aware of the fact that web page was
updated.

But frankly, I am quite surprised: here I'd rather expect to see some
comments that F/A-18 FLIR pods (no matter if AAS-38 NITE Hawk, or this
one) were worth nothing in comparison with Tomcat's LANTIRN ;-)))

Probably because even the F-14 apologists realize that the F/A-18's
ATFLIR has twice the range and 3X better resolution.
2 generations (IIRC) newer FPA technology.

Also, part of the Tomcats had IRST (some of F-14A and all F-14D, IIRC)
- similar device to be added in Super Hornets as a part of "Block III"
modification as late as around 2012 or 2013.

What's more, the whole sensor suite is going to be capable to see the
same target when needed.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur