Old March 21st 17, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 10:41:24 AM UTC-7, Sierra Whiskey wrote:
So wait... A prime example of the dynamics of psychology in play between having a motor is presented and your argument is that this was years ago so it doesn't matter? I am sorry to say but it is you that seems to have his head in the sand sir. This is the exact mentality that I have been "making up", and yet here it is. As stated in one of my previous posts, it only takes one to start a negative trend in this. Is this not an example of what I have been saying?

Really? So a single example of an idiot from 22 years ago proves that every motorglider pilot flies unsafely? There are countless examples of "pure" gliders flying low into unlandable terrain. We know this because there are nearly countless examples of them crashing there. From this, using your logic, we should eliminate "pure" gliders from the record books since there is obviously a temptation to fly them unsafely in pursuit of records. It only takes one...

I repeat once again, you have yet to produce a single example of a record flight or record attempt showing either a low save or low flight into unlandable terrain, by any current record holder. This should be quite easy for you to do, if such behavior is rampant. The flight logs and tools are readily available. If all you have is an idiot, flying 22 years ago, on a non-record attempt, you are grasping at straws.

It's really kind of a moot point, since 20 years on you will have a hard time finding a still flying "pure" glider for a record attempt - that is the unmistakable trend. Just as there is difficulty today finding a glider without electronic instruments, GPS navigation, water ballast, composite laminate flow airfoils and all the rest of the things decried when they were introduced as the ruination of the sport. I think you might be happiest buying a 1-26 and setting records in it. That's as good as any point in time to freeze.