Old December 17th 03, 04:47 PM
EDR

In article , RD wrote:

Anyone have any advice or opinions on the following models? I'm going to buy
a Garmin 195 (used) or a Lowrance 500 or 1000.

I have had a 195 for two years, now.
What I like about my 195... a large screen, long battery life, ease of
use.

I probably will not purchase another unit until there is a major
technical upgrade.
WAAS does not provide a significant difference for VFR flight.
RAIM will not in the forseeable future become incorporated into a
portable device.

Garmin is VERY liability concious. This was specifically stated to me
by reps at the AOPA convention and you can see it in their products.
Lowrance includes an obstruction database andn as I understand itn they
have been sue as a result of an accident, but I have not heard the
results. Databases, regardless of manufacture, must be kept current.