Old October 18th 16, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Jet Arcus first soaring flight

We are completely aware that turbine power has been added to gliders as far back as 1947. Indeed, Bob Carlton has researched and assembled a fine presentation on the history of jet gliders that he has presented at several SSA Conventions, as well as at Scaled Composites and a number of aviation seminars.

Bob has been flying jet powered gliders on the airshow circuit since 2004 (www.vertigoairshows.com) and began commercial development of variations as early as 2009 (www.desertaerospace.com).

The jet Arcus project is simply the latest in a line of developments going back to the Wright brothers' efforts to add a powerplant to a glider.

As far as we know, Dennis Tito's 4,000+ km in the first three flights of this modern glider with a sophisticated turbine from PBS represents a higher level of performance than previous attempts. We fully recognize and applaud earlier applications of turbines to gliders.