Old June 7th 04, 02:15 AM
Dave S

At the risk of sounding endlessly questioning,

How would turning off GPS suddenly cause the death of thousands. Other
navigational equipment is required (at least in the US). And the GPS
system IS a DOD facility, operated by the US. I dont see any obligation
being promulgated on us to the rest of the world.

The Russians have their own version dont they? Do you think they have
any sense of responsibility to any US users who may happen to be using
their system?

Dave

C J Campbell wrote:
"S Green" wrote in message

No pointers. Emprically, I'd say they are working great in the US. The

issue

is politics, not safety.

tend to agree. Look who controls the GPS infrastructure. without

assurances

that the integrity of the system was not at the whim of the US Department

of

Defence, I cannot see the UK authorities being prepared to rely on GPS.
Ultimately this does become a safety issue.

Are you seriously suggesting that the DOD would on a whim turn off all the
GPS signals and possibly cause thousands of people to die in landing
accidents? Um, yeah -- let's see:

"Mr. President, we had a terrorist threat of condition chartreuse today, so
we decided to kill thousands of people at random all over the world by
turning off the GPS system. When the terrorists actually blew up London, we
were unable to respond because the GPS system was turned off."

"Good job, boys. The political fallout over that should be minimal..."

No, I don't think so.

Next I suppose that you are going to claim that the British don't have any
radar that they could use in the event of a navigation system failure.

Or maybe your view really is just anti-American politics after all.