Old June 7th 04, 07:59 AM
C J Campbell

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
OK, then, go to www.avionicsmagazine.com, June 2004 issue, and see the
future. My point is that within a few years, enhanced loran will be
available when GPS is not.

Loran has too many disadvantages. Its user base is too small. It is the same
problem that we have with all the rest of the aviation navigation system. It
is expensive and targeted too narrowly. GPS can be used by everyone. It is
simple, reliable, and cheap. Taxpayers and their representatives have little
incentive to continue funding an expensive, unreliable navigation
infrastructure that is used by only a tiny minority when that minority
(aviation) can just as easily use GPS just like everybody else.

The only real problem Europeans have with GPS is that it is not European.
Every other complaint they have about it is demonstrably silly.