Old August 11th 03, 05:05 PM

As I'm sure you know, and to be fair to the previous poster, you are
implying 90% of full power for 2:1 VSWR. As he stated any decent
transmitter has VSWR protection so it will back off the power to
protect itself. You will then only transmitt 90% of what the
transmitter is now putting out!

Do you know what transmitter output power would you realistically
expect in these conditions?

Personally I have accept 3:1 VSWR for occasional use as long as the PA
is protected. One time on holiday I lost one half of my 14MHz inverted
V dipole but still manage to reach UK from Southern Spain with 10W
SSB. Don't even ask what the VSWR meter was reading, it looked like it
was all being reflected!

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:45:34 -0700, Jim Weir wrote:

Horsefeathers. A 2:1 VSWR transmits 90% of the applied power. A 3:1 VSWR
transmits 75% of the applied power. Have you actually ever MEASURED a
commercial aircraft band antenna from bandedge to bandedge as installed on an
aircraft?

Jim

(Steve Roberts)

-find a ham radio operator in your area with a VHF capable SWR meter
-(or just order a 2 meter swr meter from AES) if the SWR (standing
-wave ratio) is greater then 2:1 then the antenna is not well enough
-matched for even casual use.
http://www.rst-engr.com

E-mail (Remove Space after pilot): pilot