Old October 17th 14, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default iPhone 6+ or Galaxy Note 4?

Before you decide on either try to have a viewing in full sunlight to
see if they're, in fact, useful at all.

I had a Galaxy III for a while and found it next to useless in direct
sunlight. I made a sun shade from construction paper and tape and that
helped but, when the sun was behind me, the Galaxy III was useless. I
used my wife's Nexus 7 in my glider and found that it was readable in
sunlight, but just barely when the sun was behind me.

I have no experience with the Oudie but I lot of people like them.

I use a Dell Streak 5 which is fully readable in all lighting
conditions, including the sun over my shoulder. I like it so much, in
fact, that I bought a second one to keep as a spare for that inevitable
day when the one I fly with dies or gets stepped on. You can get them
brand new on Amazon for $100 and XCSoar and Tophat are free.

Dan Marotta

On 10/17/2014 12:15 AM, Duster wrote:
With the larger-format 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus coming out to match the Galaxy Note 4, which of those two do glider pilots recommend for running common navigation software? ...or other pluses/minuses?
Thanks,
Michael