Default iPhone 6+ or Galaxy Note 4?

On Friday, October 17, 2014 2:59:02 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:
On Friday, October 17, 2014 11:44:45 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:

On Friday, October 17, 2014 10:13:28 AM UTC-7, Bruce Hoult wrote:

On 2014-10-17 16:22:31 +0000, jfitch said:

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:15:51 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:

With the larger-format 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus coming out to match the

Galaxy Note 4, which of those two do glider pilots recommend for

running common navigation software? ...or other pluses/minuses?

Thanks,

Michael

Depends on what software you want to run? Certainly there are more

programs available for Android, however iGlide only runs on the iPhone

and makes the others look two decades dated.

Wow, that's pricey!!

OK, it's cheaper than the iPhone, let alone the glider. And I'm sure

the market is small and the developer needs to buy groceries...

Does it work only from the internal sensors (e.g. GPS), or can it

receive info from airspeed, heading, vario etc? If so, how?

iGlide will work with the internal GPS, maybe in the future it might use the barometric sensor in the iPhone 6 though one shouldn't expect great vario performance from that.

But you can connect it to your other instruments one way or another. With a Butterfly vario, via WiFi. With other instruments, via the Air Avionics (Butterfly) Air Connect, which creates a WiFi connection from your standard 9 pin serial NMEA stream. Or buy Air's black box sensor/recorder Air Sens which also includes the WiFi interface (but I don't think gives you variometer functions?).

For navigation and most glide calculations the internal GPS alone does an OK job. Connected to your other systems you get barographic glide calculations, Flarm leeching display, thermal assistant, etc. Price is a bit cheaper than SYM, even for the Pro version, eh? No other software even comes close to the user interface.

Is the iPhone 6 plus display easily readable in strong sunlight?

Thanks,

Craig

Good question. I haven't been able to find one to look. The brightness specs are the same as the 5s, but the contrast specs are better. I have found the 5s to be marginal in direct sun, and unreadable if there are reflections in the direct sun. Somewhat better if you turn off terrain. Not as bright as the Avier/OudieII, but brighter than the iPaq 39xx. The screen on the iPhone is MUCH higher resolution than the Avier/Oudie, but physically smaller until you get a 6 or 6 plus. The larger size cannot hurt. It is not a transflective like the Dell.