Old May 31st 18, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

Default GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 11:37:20 AM UTC-7, Wit Wisniewski wrote:
- Consider adding input from Stratux. Stratux is a $100 1090 and 978 MHz receiver that collects direct ADSB-out, UAT-out, rebroadcast TIS-b, weather, and NOTAM data from aircraft and ground towers, and puts it in a serial stream on a WiFi port. I use it with Avare, an open source EFB/navigation app. Parsing the stream for aircraft positions to be displayed on your map should be relatively easy.

Interesting idea about adding Stratux support, Wit! I'll look into it.

MMoore, unfortunately a lone goTenna Mesh can't relay transmissions from GliderLink. It must be paired with a phone running GliderLink. GliderLink doesn't use goTenna's mesh networking implementation; it uses its own. There are three kinds of messages a goTenna can send: private one-to-one messages, private group messages, and public broadcasts (called Shouts) that anyone can receive. GliderLink exclusively send Shouts, but goTenna's Meshing feature only works for one-to-one messages at the moment. That's why I had to implement my own meshing protocol. goTenna has said it may enable meshing for Shouts in the future.