Old November 16th 03, 07:52 AM
Pat Barry

Dear Mr. Knox:

I'm afraid you are mistaken.

Renting out an aircraft is a commercial operation in itself, and an aircraft
cannot be used in any operation for compensation or hire beyond the currency of
the 100 hours inspection. An application can be given to the FAA whereby the
FAA can extend this by ten hours - but that is the only break there is.

I can assure you that when a plane is out of a hundred hour inspection that it
cannot be rented out.

"James M. Knox" wrote:

Jeff wrote in :

I used to use my cherokee 180 as a lease back, when it was over its
100 hours, As the owner, I was the only one allowed to fly it.
If your renting it, then it must have a current 100 hr inspection.
Its not your airplane, so its a plane for hire.

You can certainly set up any more restrictive rules you wish, including
limiting flight of the aircraft to only you if it is over 100 hours on the
inspection. However, I think if you will check further, you will find that
you are incorrect as for USA rules by the FAA.

The plane can not be used for hire, meaning air charter, flight instruction
offered by the provider of the aircraft, etc. But it most certainly can be
rented to a pilot for his own private (personal or business) part 91
flight.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331