Old September 5th 03, 11:14 PM
John

What do u mean by chatter region, some kind of resonance frequency ?

"Bart" wrote in message
On the Jet Ranger you can engage it under 38%, at about 6% it makes an
unnerving chatter that I never liked. According to people at the factory
you're just supposed to fully engage it under 38%, no pussyfooting
around. I usually disengage it at low RPM and let it coast to avoid the
chatter region, then lightly re-engage it just to stop the blades 90
degrees abeam so I can throw the tiedown over them easily.

I know one thing for sure, the damn brake pads are expensive. I'm sure
they're really just some stock automotive part, but you can count on
spending 10x more than the Napa equivalent.

Your flight manual should describe proper operation, but since brakes
are usually an option, it might be in the supplements section.

Bart

Bill Chernoff wrote:
What are the limitations on rotor brake use?
Can you throw off the lead-lag if you "stomp the brakes"
too hard?

Bill