Old November 17th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bela P. Havasreti

Default Q about WWII a/c

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:02:16 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

Peter Duniho wrote:
This is an airplane that's only 270hp, has a boost of only about 4". The
WWII piston airplanes had what, an order of magnitude (at least) greater
power, with boosts of anywhere from 15" to 30"? I'm no expert and I might
have some of those numbers a bit off, but still...if my little recreational
4-seater can get up to 25000', I don't have a hard time at all believing
that one could get a powerhouse piston fighter or bomber up to 37000'.

Some years ago I climbed up on the wing of a P-47 parked outside of Sun Aviation
in Vero Beach, FL and peeked into the cockpit. The manifold pressure gauge was
redlined at 67", IIRC. I was *very* impressed.

Power came from the ubiquitous R-2800 P&W aircooled engine. That was one huge
airplane... must have been about 2/3 the size of a B-17.

Just "thinking out loud", but that sounds a bit high (67"). I'm
thinking perhaps that was the original "war emergency" limit in WW-II,
but may not be achievable with today's 100LL fuel.

Whatever the current "de-rated" maximum manifold pressure limit is
with 100LL, it still must be impressive!

Bela P. Havasreti